Monday, March 24, 2014

Artist Bio

Who am I as an artist? When I first began to ponder this question, my mind seemed to have absolutely no idea. Having grown up with art being a large part of my life, which has led to my decision and desire to major in the subject, one would think that I would be able to answer this question quite easily...

I guess I would say that I am an artist who focuses on the elements of design, composition, and iconography. Art that encompasses these elements speaks to me the most. I have always had a strong interest in architecture and interior design, which helps explain why I value design. When I make drawings, paintings, or photographs, I start out by figuring out what the best composition is. Even when I am not making art, I tend to frame the things that I see everyday with my eyes. While the visual appearance of my art is important to me, I also value the meaning behind it. I have noticed that a lot of my art has a hidden iconography behind it, in which most people would not understand by just looking. I find art that has no meaning or purpose to be pointless.

That being said, there are times when I have not understood and appreciated performance art, which is what this blog is about. It is an art form that is pretty new to me, but I hope to be able to comprehend it and value it for what it is and what I can do with it. I believe that it is essential for artists to continually explore life in order to find out who they are as an artist. I often compare this to hiking, where cairns are placed to mark a path. Each cairn represents a different discovery of artistic expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment