Thursday, April 3, 2014

Laurie Anderson at the Englert Theatre

As my classmates and I stood outside, lined up against the theater, waiting for the doors to open, I felt very excited and curious about what I was going to see and experience. The only thing that I knew and could remember about Laurie Anderson from class was her O Superman. So, I was expecting to hear that plus other songs that had the same sort of techno vibe to them. I thought that it was going to be more of a performance than what it was. However, I really enjoyed hearing the stories that Anderson told. In particular, I liked the "symphony for dogs". It's such an interesting and funny idea to play music for a bunch of dogs. I was also entertained by the story about her blind dog that learned how to play the piano. While I enjoyed Anderson's stories, I often got lost because she jumped around so much. I got really confused about what she was talking about sometimes. But, that might just be me not being able to pay attention. The part that I enjoyed the most was at the end of her talk when she showed a preview of the new piece she is working on and trying to come up with a name for. I loved the visual of looking up at the sky, especially when the camera was moving in between the tall buildings of the city. While this was happening, Anderson was speaking in a deep voice, which was interesting, but again I had a hard time paying attention to what she was saying because I was thinking about the visual aspect. It made me think about how much I miss the city. I really enjoyed the way in which the camera was moving through the city. It was clearly following the grid pattern of the streets, kind of in a robotic way. This video also made me think about how much I look up at the sky, even when I am walking. I like to enjoy the scenery and I like the perspective. The sky is so big and full of mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment